We recently had a customer ask: Is there a way to have the PE environment automatically map a network drive and just pick the image I want? The answer is yes!
We recently had a customer ask: Is there a way to have the PE environment automatically map a network drive and just pick the image I want?
The answer is yes!
SmartDeploy creates an answer file as part of an initial deployment. You can use this answer file on future deployments for attended or unattended installations which aids in deployment automation. In an attended install, you still get to choose deployment options but the selections you are likely to use are already populated. In an unattended install, the target computer will honor your selections and complete the deployment without any user interaction. The answer file will contain responses to many deployment options such as computer name, time zone, screen resolution, IP settings, domain-join information, and so on.
Creating the answer file is easy, simply follow the steps below.
Boot a target computer to the SmartDeploy Pre-Installation (SmartPE) environment.
- Click Deploy an Image.
- Proceed through the deploy wizard choosing all desired settings.
- On the Summary dialog box, click Export.
- Save the SmartDeploy.xml file to your desired location.
- Select the option for unattended or attended deployment.
- Now that the answer file is created, include it in new boot media.
- Launch the Media Wizard and follow the onscreen instructions. On the Optional Components dialog box, click Browse in the Custom answer file field and select the SmartDeploy.xml answer file you created.
- Complete Media Wizard.
- Insert the boot media created in these steps to your target device. The Deploy Wizard will now honor all of the automated selections chosen when creating the answer file.
Want more help from our support team? Visit our forum www.deploycentral.com and get answers to your deployment related questions!